In class on Wednesday, October 11, we visited with the actresses portraying the witches and Director Jay Berkow. Jay explained the function of a Director and specifically how it applies to this process while the actresses explained their process, difficulties and triumphs in this production, as well as performed "Something/Make Him Mine".
1. If commenting before seeing the production, what are you most excited to see on Thursday evening? Why?
2. What surprised you about the director or actor's process as described by Jay Berkow and Cast? Why?
3. Director Jay Berkow explained that the magical component is only a metaphor for the empowerment the women feel when they realize their independence and strength in self. If the Witches were listening to musical tracks from the 1980's that would portray this empowerment, what songs would they jam too on their drinking evenings? Why? Post links in your comments.
4. Based upon what you heard about Darryl VanHorn, how do you think his character will be portrayed in the performance? What is a character in TV, Film, or Literature that is similar to Darryl and Why?
5. Frequently an actor must do something challenging, physically or emotionally, but make it look easy. In this production, the ladies discussed the difficulty of flying while trying to look beautiful in these handmade gowns. What is an experience in your own personal life when you have had to make something look easier than it truly was? Why did you put on this facade?