Marc Blitzstein and the cast from The Cradle Will Rock
A still image from Snoop Dogg's remix of BadBadNotGood's Lavender.
1. As discussed in class, numerous programs have been created throughout history to fund the arts. Why would arts programs be crucial to the community, not just to artists, during times of crisis such as the Great Depression or during the Civil Rights Movement?
2. So often politicians and our President's are associated with large name celebrities, as seen in class. How does the partnership of President's and celebrities aid a President? How can it be detrimental to their cause? Use historical examples to back up your opinions.
3. From the censorship upon Revolt of the Beavers and The Cradle Will Rock, to our current President's anger at Snoop Dogg's Lavender video, the government frequently wishes to or has censored works of art that question the President or the government. When are these works of art permissible? When has the artist "crossed a line"?
4. In class we discussed President Trump's new budget plan include his interest to eliminate funding for Corporation of Public Broadcasting (NPR, PBS, etc); National Endowment for the Humanities and National Endowment for the Arts. While this funding is a small part of the overall discretionary spending, some see removing it as more about sending a message about the values of this Presidency. Some believe this funding will be found by private donors and will not effect these organizations in the long run. However, some see it as an attempt to censor the arts or quiet artists voices. How do you see these budget cuts? Why do you think this is necessary or unnecessary for our country?
5. Make connections between any of the content from today's class to content from a previous class.
By this time you surely know what constitutes a good or excellent comment on the blog. If necessary – refer back to blog grading criteria. This post will be open until 10 PM on Sunday.