Key, clockwise beginning upper left corner: Paul Robeson, All-American football player at Rutgers University; Robeson, Phi Beta Kappa laureate, Rutgers, 1919; Robeson as Othello in New York production, 1943; Robeson leading Anti-Lynching Campaign in front of statue of Abraham Lincoln, Washington, D.C., 1946; Robeson leading Civil Rights protest in front of the White House, Washington, D.C., 1948; and the cover of The Undiscovered Paul Robeson, Vol. I, by Paul Robeson, Jr., published 2001.
Note: we are now into the second half of the semester. Keep in mind that writing on the blog is a WRITING ASSIGNMENT. Your writing here MUST be in keeping with college level writing. Your writing must show evidence of serious careful work. It must be free of spelling errors or other problems as described in the Blog Grading Criteria. As long as you succeed in these ways, your written comments here will be eligible for 4 pts to 10 pts. If not, they will receive 0 or at most 2 points. If you are having trouble, and especially if you posted a lot of comments the past few weeks, and got a low score - -make certain you ASK US FOR HELP. We want to see you succeed in college and be able to be successful professionally. Writing is the number one skill employers look for.
Please answer one or two questions only. Do NOT paste in the question please.
- What do you find most compelling or surprising about Paul Robeson’s life?
- Why do you think the story of Paul Robeson’s life has been successfully kept hidden all these years?
- What specific connections to other material we’ve covered so far this semester can you articulate?
- In what specific ways is the story of Robeson’s life relevant to your life?
- I talked about the role of ambition and ego in regard to Robeson’s successes. How do you feel about ambition and ego – do you think these concepts can help you in your life?
- In what specific ways is the story of Robeson’s and the times he lives in similar to specific things going on in the United States right now?
- To what extent was the information about the Spanish Civil War; the alliance between the Soviet Union and the United States; the Cold War; and McCarthyism, new to you? AND: Do you think you might be more inclined to learn more about contextual historical or present-day events and ideas in the future, to further either your academic or personal pursuit of ideas?
- What human beings of the past or present (from any country at any time) would you say measures up to Robeson, in terms of his successes in academic/scholarly achievement, athletic accomplishments, stature as a singer and as an actor, and his work as a champion of human rights?
This post opened at 9:20 pm on Monday. It will be open until 5 pm Friday.